The ISIS Neutron and Muon Source is a world-leading centre for research at the STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire. Our neutron and muon instruments give unique insights into the properties of materials on an atomic scale. At the heart of the facility is a rapid cycling proton synchrotron accelerating 10^13 protons up to 84% of the speed of light, 50 times every second. The accelerated beam collides with stationary targets to produce the neutrons and muons for experiments.
Opportunities for Graduates
ISIS recruits graduates every year in positions such as RF, mechanical, electronic and electrical engineering, accelerator physics, software development and more. Our graduates join us in a permanent position, starting a real job from day one; graduates enjoy two years of formal soft skills together with technical training and development, as well as on the job experience.
To be eligible for STFC’s graduate scheme, you need to have;
• Obtained your first degree bachelors or Masters, (not doctorate) in a relevant subject in either 2019, 2020 or be due to receive it in 2021
• Expected or have achieved a 2:1 or above
• The right to live and work in the UK.
Opportunities for Students
ISIS also offers a diverse range of industrial placement positions which give undergraduate students the opportunity to work on challenging technical projects alongside world leading engineers, scientists and technicians in highly collaborative environments. Placement students are treated as full-time members of staff, earn a competitive salary and have a unique opportunity to pursue their career interests while developing the skills for a head-start after graduation.
Shorter experiences are also available through summer vacation placements lasting between 6 and 12 weeks.
In order to be eligible for STFC’s industrial and vacation schemes, you should;
• Currently be enrolled on an undergraduate degree course.
• For industrial placements, you must be required or have requested to take a placement year.
• The right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the placement.
More information can be found on https://stfc.ukri.org/